Pages

Monday 5 September 2011

Beetroot crisps with fennel salt

























I’m a great fan of beetroot, but sometimes tire of the way it compels full-on culinary and visual commitment. Many of the other vegetables in the garden are happy to play part of an ensemble performance - Bulb Fennel turns in a fine Gloucester on a good day. Beetroot refuses to play any role but Lear, then goes all method in your kitchen, like Christian Bale. “Chide not fool; this is what I do!” it bellows; scarlet juices pluming through your meal. Simply does it here; thinly slice Pablo and Barbabietola Di Chioggia beets, deep-fry in Groundnut oil and serve with a scattering of ground fennel seeds and sea salt. Tasty stuff - not a tantrum in sight.


GREAT WITH...

Baba Ganoush

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful indeed and a great shot.
    Do you cook the beetroot slices before frying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't, even though the slices were relatively thick. Nice and crunchy; make sure to keep them moving in the oil though, otherwise they burn. Thanks for for the kind words guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a snack I'll love. And beautiful to that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to add the fennel - lovely pic too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I bought some beets today to give this a whirl. I only have coconut oil so I'll see how I go ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photography of food, I love beets and want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea where to find Groundnut oil....is there an alternative I could use?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vegetable oil would work just as well...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try these but I wonder, recently made microwave potatoe chips and wonder if you think that method would work for these?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your write up , recipe is very different and interesting , do visit my space too , would like to have your feedback....http://anjalisfoodkaleidoscope.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think you are both photographer and cook. very rare combination.
    clipping path services

    ReplyDelete
  12. till now i knew about only potato chips!! great recipe idea!!!
    clipping path

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know about this item of apple. That's a great post. Thank you so much for it from ecommerce photo editing service provider

    ReplyDelete